Rental assistance available to qualified residents

By: 
Register Staff
Staff Writer

Inyo Mono Advocates for Community Action and Mammoth Lakes Housing have joined the Local Partner Network to help spread the word in Inyo, Mono and Alpine counties regarding rental assistance due to financial hardships because of the pandemic and to assist area residents in obtaining help due to financial hardships because of the pandemic.
Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill 91 in late January, allocating $2.6 billion in rent assistance for the California COVID-19 Rent Relief Program.
The agencies hope to assist those who need it in completing the online application available at https://housing.ca.gov/covid_rr/.
According to IMACA, the program can help households with:
• 80% of back-rent owed from April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021, if the landlord agrees to forgive the remaining 20%; or 25% of rent-owed;
• 100% of unpaid utilities accrued from April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021;
• 25% of future rent up to three months through June 2021.
Both tenants and landlords can apply.
Those who need or know of someone who needs assistance with housing-related debts accrued during this time period, contact IMACA at (760) 873-7709 or Mammoth Lakes Housing at (760) 934-4740.
Those interested also can reach the state hotline at (833) 430-2122 for more information or to make an appointment.
According to the state program, eligible renters whose landlords choose not to participate may still apply on their own and receive 25% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, through a direct payment to their landlord. If a landlord refuses direct payment, the 25% can be paid to the renter to pay missed rent to their landlord by June 30, 2021. Paying 25% of past due rent by June 30, 2021 can help keep renters in their homes under the extended eviction protections.

Category: